The process of removing or moving soil with pressurized water is known as hydro excavation. By means of an air conveyance or vacuum, the soil or debris is transferred to a debris tank. This system allows for a non-destructive and more accurate way to excavate soil and locate underground utilities. It is a non-mechanical, non-destructive, environmentally-friendly, and cost-effective method that uses pressurized water and an industrial-strength vacuum to simultaneously excavate and evacuate soil.
Hydro excavation gained popularity within the oil and gas industries in Canada. The cold weather often keeps the ground frozen, making it harder to excavate using traditional methods. The Canadian contractors were able to see the efficiency of using the process of hydro excavation with heated water over more traditional methods to get the job done.
Under the right set of circumstances, at E&K Contractors we will use our Vactor truck for hydro excavation purposes. The benefits are:
- Increased safety and decreased cost of digging around buried utility lines. Hydro excavation uses no digging equipment with metal or sharp edges that penetrate the ground. This helps avoid the cost associated with power outages; broken water pipes or gas explosions that can result from a backhoe or trencher hitting a buried utility line.
- Dig in a less-invasive way, and with precision. Hydro excavation allows our operators to dig with precision, and doesn’t disrupt the ground like traditional digging methods. It reduces the likelihood of damaging utility installations and can result in less surface damage.
Hydro Excavation has a wide range of applications including:
- Line, sign and pole installation and location. It is also used for potholing and daylighting. It also leads to less congestion and traffic in the area that is being excavated since the equipment can be positioned at a distance.
- In most construction projects, subsurface utilities and underground facilities are almost always necessary. Excavating to lay these utilities is not an easy job, and has many risks associated with it. When using hydro excavation, there is considerably less risk, and can be used in several applications.
- Pipe and sewer rehabilitation is another application for hydro excavation. This method reduces risks for any damages to or punctures in the pipes. This eliminates the additional time and cost that repairs require.
- By using hydro excavation for landscaping, accurate excavation is done so the surrounding soil is not disturbed. The soil stays compact and strong while the necessary removal is completed.
- It is an ideal solution for debris removal. It’s cost-effective, safe, and a quick method for cleaning out structures without causing any damage to the surrounding area or equipment.
- It’s an effective solution for other cleanup applications such as catch basin cleaning, sludge removal, and spill cleanup.
- Hydro excavation can also be used for slot trenching which is necessary for installing pipes, cables or other underground utilities. The accuracy and precision makes this form of excavating ideal for digging the narrow trenches required without disturbing the surrounding soil.
With the use of our Vactor truck, hydro excavation can also happen remotely, and is extremely precise. Since the ground in Northwest Ohio freezes, it is also a great option for cold weather applications, since it uses heated water.
Contact E&K Contractors for excavation projects and let us put our team of experts to work for you!